Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Runes


I have been studying the Runes since I began making rune sets in clay about 8 years back. Once I started working with the tiles I made at the request of others I was hooked and their mysteries took over. The more I learn about this facinating divination system the more there is to learn, about it lore and mysteries. I combine my intuitive readings with Runes and Tarot, I appreciate the additional insight the oracles provide and use them as door openers. I know I am on when the intuitive, tarot and runes all come out saying basically the same message with the occasional "twist".


Runes are an ancient Germanic alphabet, used for writing, divination and magick. They were used throughout northern Europe, Scandinavia, the British Isles, and Iceland from about 100 B.C.E. to 1600 C.E.


In Norse mythology, Odin, the Norse High God of the Aesir, hung from the world tree, Yggdrasil, impaled on his own spear, for nine days and nights in order to gain the knowledge of runes. When the runes appeared below him, he reached down and took them up, and the runic knowledge gave him power . He later passed on this knowledge to the Vanir goddess Freya. She, in turn, taught him the magic of seidr. Heimdall, the god who guarded the Rainbow Bridge, taught the runes to mankind.


Runes are an oracle from which one seeks advice. They work best if you detail your current circumstances and then ask a specific question. Rune readings are sometimes obscure. It is a form of divination that requires the reader to use their own intuitive gifts and knowledge of the oracle. Runic divination or "rune casting" is not "fortunetelling" in the sense that one actually sees the future. Instead, runes give one a means of analyzing the path that one is on and a likely outcome. The future is not fixed. As beings with free will we can change our own futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment